Thursday, September 29, 2005

first cold

Lucky for the kid, he caught my cold leading into last weekend. Even luckier still is that he has no idea that he can breathe through his nose or how to blow it clean. So...that means every so often while sleeping, he'll struggle to get air and ultimately wakes up and starts crying. So in his parents will come to soothe him and restart the process. Needless to say that the renewed lack of sleep was the key reason for lack of postings on the blog.

As a result...the kid, who could at one point sleep for 6 - 7 hour stretches, now wakes every two to three. Just when L and I were developing a routine around him, he ups and changes things. To be expected I suppose.

The cold has been interesting. It started with him getting scared every time I started coughing my brains out. Then he started acting like he was mimicking my cough -- like it was a form of communication. Turns out it was a predecessor of him developing the same cold. I have to admit that the book from Dr. Sears has been very helpful in identifying his symptoms and things we could do to help him out. The AAP book had some high level information, but Dr. Sears is far more detailed.

From the book, we realized that we need to help the munchkin clean out his nose with the wonderfully popular nose sucker thingy. It isn't hard to imagine why Rohan is afraid of it -- it looks like it could suck out his brains. Actually I wonder how adults would react to their boogers sucked out with a giant bulb...

2 Comments:

At October 14, 2005 9:35 AM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Oh, my GOODNESS--he is a STUNNINGLY beautiful child! I found you "accidentally" surfing blogger for something, using the word doula (which I am!)

I will be reading more of your blog and linking you to my list of Dad's blogs.

Hh

P.S. The "Doulas Assocation" link you have is wonderful! That's "my" organization, and we have nearly 6000 members now and train and certify birth and postpartum doulas as the premier doula organization internationally.

However, it's not actually a doula association, which is a local group of doulas who meet and work together, etc. Our is a training and certifying organization. I'd LOVE it if you'd tweak the link to read DONA International, if you're feeling tech-ish and have a chance sometime. You'll find me on the "About Us" page there at www.DONA.org ! :)

Thanks again!

 
At November 14, 2005 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Neal

It's been eons since I checked your site out. Our Rohan has developed a nasty cold. His first and we are, well, hmm, freakin' out. But your blog is some solace. Thanks for the links, but more importantly the perspective. S and I get a lot of what you are doing here. Keep it up (and wish us luck). Yeah, we are using that booger sucker and RohanB hates it. I usually hide it and ninja-style drive it into his nose only to release the bulb, capture the booger(s) and withdraw all in one swoop. He doesn't know what hit him. If I linger, of course, the man is wise and exercises his lungs like an opera star. We are learning ... oh, yeah, we are ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home