Friday, September 30, 2005

higher spirits

It was difficult making sense of the world over the last month. Between the massive hurricane that left one of my favorite cities under water and the discovery that my aunt has an advanced stage of stomach cancer....I'm left wondering what gives.

We visited a new temple in the area over the weekend. It is an unusual set up as it contains idols from most of the world religions (Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Christianity) with the notable exception of Islam. Obviously I was not part of that decision, so I have no introspection on the background -- I only found the exclusion odd. And of course the Christian representation is actually of Mary and not Jesus.

Nevertheless, as I'm sitting there, I find myself wondering what set of spiritual values will I be able to instill in Rohan. Though my parents did their best to give me a core set of beliefs, they aren't necessarily how I live my day to day as I've drifted more towards Buddhism. Still I do not wear my religion on my sleeve and foresee a difficult road in the future of conveying religious beliefs to Rohan. Never mind my own difficulties with the subject, but Rohan's mom has a slightly differing set of beliefs.


How do parents with differing beleifs instill any set of values in their kids without trying to teach them both? Is the usual rule of thumb just to let the more religious parent pass on their beliefs?

Ultimately, I want him to make his own choice. A choice based on education and actual understanding of other religions such that he can choose his own path. At the end of the day if he wants to practice all or none, it should be up to him.

1 Comments:

At October 14, 2005 10:02 AM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Giving him a spiritual base and moral beliefs and standards, I think, prepares him better for making that decision. Good for you.
Hh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home